Arch Linux Install Network Printer¶
These instructions will provided the ability to print using the CUPS (open source printing system) to a selected network printer or virtual PDF printer.
- Instructions use Arch Linux operating system
- Instructions done via the command line interface (CLI) (terminal/console)
- A printer is already powered on and directly connected to the local area network (LAN)
- Steps prefixed with a "$" (dollar sign) represents the CLI prompt; The text after the "$" is to be entered at the CLI
- Steps prefixed with a "#" (number sign) represents the CLI prompt with elevated user permissions (e.g. root); The text after the "#" is to be entered at the CLI
# pacman -Syy cups cups-pdf
Remove "cups-pdf" if a virtual PDF printer is not desired.
Choose only one of the following commands to enable.
# systemctl enable cups.service
# systemctl enable cups.socket
cups.socketit will only start
cups.servicewhen a CUPS socket is accessed.
Only do this step if you chosen in previous step to enable
# systemctl start cups.service
There are three configurations files located at
After editing any of the configuration file(s), restart
cups.service to apply changes (e.g. systemctl reload-or-restart cups.service).
By default, all logs are stored at "/var/log/cups/".
By default printer administrative privileges are granted to users that are associated to the user groups,
wheel. Refer to
SystemGroup within the configuration file
/etc/cups/cups-files.conf to alter the default behaviour.
Virtual PDF Printer¶
By default the Virtual PDF printer stores the PDF files at "/var/spool/cups-pdf/$USER". Alter the configuration file
/etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf to change the default directory.
Printer Driver Installation¶
A printer driver maybe required in order to use the printer with CUPS. Here are just a few brief examples of how that is done on each computer requiring print capability.
An AUR Helper may also be required in order to install desired printer driver.
ME Office 82WD, 85ND, 900WD, 960FWD / Stylus NX620, SX525WD, SX620FW, TX560WD / Stylus Office B42WD, BX525WD, BX625FWD, TX620FWD / WorkForce T42WD, 60, 620, 630
# pikaur -Syy epson-inkjet-printer-workforce-635-nx625-series
# pikaur -Syy samsung-unified-driver
Add A Printer Using CUPS Web Interface¶
- Open "Manage Printing" or browse to http://localhost:631/.
- Click on “Administration” at the top of the web page.
- Click on “Add Printers”.
- Select the desired printer under "Discovered Network Printers" and click the "Continue" button.
- Set the "Name", "Description" and "Location" and then clock on the "Continue" button.
- Select the "Model" of printer and click the "Add Printer" button.
- Select default options and click the "Set Default Options" button.
Add A Printer Using Printer Settings¶
This utilizes "Printer Settings" (system-config-printer package) a native GUI application.
- Open "Printer Settings".
- Click on the "Unlock" button.
- Click on the "Add" button.
- Select the desired printer and click the "Forward" button.
- Set the desired "Printer Name", "Description" and "Location".
- Click the "Apply" button.