A software application that assists Canadians in completing and filing their income tax. The software is available for both personal and corporate on Microsoft Windows, Linux and Apple macOS.
This article is intended to guide a Linux desktop user on how to install and run myTaxExpress (personal).
- Instructions use Arch Linux operating system
- Instructions done via the command line interface (CLI) (terminal/console)
- Steps prefixed with a "$" (dollar sign) represents the CLI prompt; The text after the "$" is to be entered at the CLI
- Steps prefixed with a "#" (number sign) represents the CLI prompt with elevated user permissions (e.g. root); The text after the "#" is to be entered at the CLI
- Downloads are assumed to be stored within in the user's download directory (e.g.
- Check for package dependencies.
$ pacman -Qs ^fuse2
local/fuse-common 3.10.5-1 Common files for fuse2/3 packages local/fuse2 2.9.9-4 A library that makes it possible to implement a filesystem in a userspace program.
$ pacman -Qs ^openssl
local/openssl 1.1.1.m-1 The Open Source toolkit for Secure Sockets Layer and Transport Layer Security local/openssl-1.0 1.0.2.u-1 The Open Source toolkit for Secure Sockets Layer and Transport Layer Security
Install package dependencies not found.
Skip this step if dependencies are already installed.
# pacman -Sy fuse2 openssl
Set execute permission.
Use one of the following command examples depending on what was downloaded in previous step.
$ chmod +x ~/Downloads/mytaxexpress2021_netfile-ssl11-x86_64.AppImage
$ chmod +x ~/Downloads/mytaxexpress2021_netfile-x86_64.AppImage
myTaxExpress does not require conventional installation steps since it is an AppImage (self contained).
The application can be ran via the terminal or within the graphical user interface (GUI).
$ cd ~/Downloads
Graphical User Interface¶
The exact steps will vary depending on desktop environment configuration. However, in most cases one can use the search and launch the application or use a file manager to browse to the "Downloads" directory and double click on the applicable myTaxExpress file that was downloaded.